No Room for Bullies: From the Classroom to Cyberspace
No Room for Bullies: From the Classroom to Cyberspace shatters popular myths about bullying to reveal its stark realities. You'll learn who's playing the intimidation game, and how they play it. From social exclusion, physical violence, and emotional backstabbing to sexual sleaze and cyberbullying. But No Room for Bullies takes you beyond problem recognition to proven solutions.
Parents will find:
- How to advocate for a child and work with the school when school bullying is a problem
- Safe Internet-Surfing Contract for kids that lays down the law on Internet use at home
- Helpful strategies on what to do when a child acts like a bully, is a bullying victim, or suffers from "bystander silence"
School administrators will find:
- Suggestions on how to measure the social climate of schools, including sample surveys to give to students, staff, and parents
- A 12-point checklist on preventing problems in hallways, classrooms, and common areas
Teachers will find:
- Advice for creating and enforcing classroom rules, including an "Airport Rule" that gives students a sense of safety
- Ideas to minimize the chaos that occurs during passing periods and in "unowned" areas like restrooms and hallways
"The contributing authors include child psychologists, parent trainers, and teachers. Drawing on their years of experience, they tackle bullying from all the angles: the bully, the victim, the bystander, the teacher, the parent, and the environment. Reviews: Terrific resource for parents and educators! Being bullied is certainly scary whether you're an adult or a child, but especially if you're a child. Stories about bullies are followed by how you can help (your child, your friend, yourself). The various types of bullying are discussed, and there are quotes by now-famous victims of bullies: 2003 Miss America Erika Harold, actor Tom Cruise, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton and actor Harrison Ford. This book is a valuable resource for parents, educators and students." ~Gayle Trent (Bristol, VA United States)
"From one end of the country to the other - and everywhere in between, the condition of bullying is epidemic and is probably getting worse. NO ROOM FOR BULLIES, Edited by Jose Bolton, Sr., Ph.D., L.P.C., and Stan Graeve, M.A., published by BOYS TOWN PRESS, reveals the problems inherent to bullying and the ways that this dangerous practice may be resolved. Within its 217 pages are presented the many aspects of this insidious national challenge: Sexual Bullying; Bullying in Cyberspace; Action Plans for Teachers; Parents as Advocates in the School and Home; and much more! The complexities and immediate challenges are explicitly shown. The volume states the many challenges that exist and have existed for a long time, along with many practical suggestions on how this serious problem may be alleviated. Recommended for teachers and students alike, this handy volume brings hope to both the student and the schools." ~ M.G. Paregian, Publisher
Published by Boys Town Press